Here are some books and other tools that we have found to be useful in our family devotions with our kids, ages 7, 6, 3, and 4 mos.
- The Jesus Storybook Bible (Sally Lloyd-Jones)
- The Big Picture Story Bible (David Helm)
- The Child’s Story Bible (Catherine Vos)
- The Read Aloud Bible Stories series (Ella Lindvall) (when our oldest were younger)
- Currently we are reading the “real” Bible with them, with passages from the Old and New Testaments.
- The Gospel for Children (Leuzarder)- A catechism that goes through God, the Bible, sin, Jesus, Repentance and Faith, Counting the Costs with picture prompts. This is our second time through with our older ones, and we will probably work on it with our 3 year old in the next year or so.
- A children’s catechism that is a mixture of A Catechism for Young Children and My First Book of Questions and Answers by Carine Mackenzie
- We work on the verses the kids bring home from Sunday school, as well as other verses that we feel are applicable at certain times.
- Wise Words for Moms (Ginger Plowman) – this was helpful in discussing how scripture applies and what it looks like in different situations.
- My husband usually plays and has us sing through a set of 2-3 hymns and songs, especially ones that we might be singing the following Sunday, to familiarize the kids with the words and tune ahead of time. We most always end with a “dance” song for the kids. 🙂 Our kids really look forward to this time!